Saturday, June 11, 2005

Railing (photos)

Much to my own surprise, this part is turning out to be one of the most rewarding elements of the project. I hadn't designed a railing system for the porch, but I knew I didn't like what I'd seen in magazines and books. The requirements are also pretty strict. The railing must be at least 36" high with no more than a 4" gap between ballusters (vertical rails). Inspired by the pegged joinery inside the house, I determined to dowel peg the railing. I ordered the lumber, but I was a bit unsure about how much time it would take. I set up a couple of jigs to keep things reasonably square, and as the pictures I hope show, I'm very pleased with the result. I did the shortest rail section first as a test.



This crude jig makes a hole in the top of the balluster



This form, ensures the railing comes out square.



The finished (sample) railing. The 3/8" maple pegs will sit proud of the rails.
The pegs are unglued and only 8 screws are used to secure it to the posts.

There will be a top plate screwed in above. Something to set a cool drink on.

Four feet of railing done. Only 136 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment