Thursday, October 21, 2004

Night Moves (Photos)

It seemed like it might turn out to be a sunny morning from the rich colors I could see on the leaves from my bedroom window. Still, it can be deceptive in the morning if the sun rises under the clouds. When I finally hauled myself out of bed at 9:30, I could see right away from the intense light burning off the mists that it was going to start out clear.

(click for larger image)

I expected the Zoeller crew to be down working on my house; taking advantage of the break in the weather. But they weren’t there. I left a message for Jordan saying that I didn’t know how the weather was where he was at, but at my place it looked like a fine day to be roofing.

I worked on the plumbing all day. It’s very much like my favorite boyhood activity, playing with Lego. But in this case there are rules and a final test in the form of an inspection. Naturally, I was short several pieces. Well not short really. I had lots of spare parts, but they weren’t the right ones.

I’ve chosen to make the drain-waste-vent (DWV) system entirely of ABS (black) plastic piping. This choice was dictated by not wanting to use any PVC (though I couldn’t avoid it in the perimeter drain around the foundation) and not being able to figure out how to get or handle cast iron piping on my own.

Around 4pm or thereabouts, the Zoeller’s pull up ready to work on putting the last layer of decking on my roof. The day has been remarkably fine and I wonder to myself as to why they are showing up now. But they set to work and haul the first sheet of plywood up onto the roof. As someone paralyzed by heights, watching these two work as a team to manage large, awkward loads up a 7 in 12 (30 degree) slope is spell-binding.

They barely get the first panel in place when they are called off to go herd some wayward cattle (not theirs) back home. They return at dusk with flood lights in hand. Parking their truck at the top of the driveway and pushing the front wheels up onto a load of gravel, they are able to shine the head lights on the roof.

They work this way until they are just one panel away from finishing the southern and highest row, when the rains start. Wisely, and much to my amazement, Jordan orders his brother to start packing it in for the night. I was surprised that he didn’t try to push to complete the row. It’s 11pm by the time they unfurl the 1000 square feet of tarp back over the roof to protect it from the rain.

I can’t wait to go take a look at the results in the morning. It will finally start to look like a building with a roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment